It’s now time to provide another update on how former Jets that are still in the NFL are faring with their current team. Today, we look at which players made it onto their team’s 53-man roster and which ones were injured or released.
As ever, this list is intended to be exhaustive, but if we missed anyone, let us know in the comments.
- Spencer Long, C, Buffalo
Long is listed as the backup to Mitch Morse at center for Buffalo. Morse was dealing with a concussion during preseason but the Bills were confident enough in Long that they traded Russell Bodine. Long did a good job as a run blocker in preseason but struggled in pass protection.
- Andre Roberts, WR/KR/PR, Buffalo
Roberts’ primary role with the Bills will be as their return specialist. He only caught one pass in preseason but showed he still has some return abilities with a 37-yard punt return.
- Terrence Brooks, S, New England
Brooks saw plenty of action in preseason but has now been listed as a third-stringer. He played well in coverage, but struggled against the run. He’ll also contribute on special teams.
- Darron Lee, LB, Kansas City
Lee is surprisingly not listed as a starter for the Chiefs following an inconsistent preseason campaign.
- Morris Claiborne, CB, Kansas City
Claiborne will start off the season on the inactive list, after a four-game suspension was handed down by the league. He played in two preseason games and broke up one pass.
- Buster Skrine, CB, Chicago
Skrine will be the nickel cornerback for the Bears in 2019, but didn’t play in preseason due to injury.
- Kevin Pierre-Louis, LB, Chicago
Pierre-Louis is listed as a third-stringer for the Bears but will no doubt be a core special teamer. He played in two preseason games and had one special teams tackle but gave up a couple of big plays in coverage.
- Dakota Dozier, G, Minnesota
Dozier had a solid preseason to win a roster spot, although he will come off the bench for the Vikings.
- James Carpenter, G, Atlanta
Carpenter barely played in preseason but has been taking first team reps in practice and is projected to start for the Falcons.
- Jason Myers, K, Seattle
Myers made eight of nine field goals in preseason with his only miss coming from beyond 50 yards. He only had eight touchbacks on 20 kick-offs though.
- Julian Stanford, LB, Buffalo
Stanford is listed as a second-stringer and should contribute on special teams. He struggled against the run in preseason but played well in coverage.
- Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB, Miami
Fitzpatrick won the Dolphins’ starting job over Josh Rosen in preseason. He was just 17 of 32 for 166 yards in three appearances but didn’t throw an interception and had one touchdown pass.
- Randy Bullock, K, Cincinnati
Bullock won the job over Tristan Vizcaino, despite the fact he only attempted one kick in preseason. His lone field goal attempt was good from beyond 50.
- Sheldon Richardson, DL, Cleveland
Richardson is listed as a starter despite missing some time in camp with an abdominal injury. He played in two preseason games and recorded one sack.
- Troymaine Pope, RB, Los Angeles Chargers
Pope surprisingly won the number three running back role in preseason after having rushed for 94 yards at an average of 4.7 per carry. He also caught nine passes and returned a punt 81 yards for a touchdown.
- Devin Smith, WR, Dallas
Smith was a bust with the Jets but looks like he might be close to realizing his potential in Dallas. He had a huge preseason with 14 catches for 188 yards and a touchdown.
- Oday Aboushi, OL, Detroit
Aboushi remains listed as the Lions’ second-string right guard despite having three penalties in three preseason games.
- Damon Harrison, DT, Detroit
Harrison signed an extension during camp and will start the season as the Lions’ starting nose tackle, although he barely played in preseason.
- Demario Davis, LB, New Orleans
Davis remains a starter with the Saints and put together a solid preseason campaign with 10 tackles in three games.
- Kevin Minter, LB, Tampa Bay
Minter is listed as a second-stringer and should contribute on special teams. In four preseason games, he had 13 tackles, 0.5 sacks and a pass defensed but did get beaten for a touchdown in coverage.
- Geno Smith, QB, Seattle
Smith was released and re-signed following a preseason campaign that saw him have to have a procedure carried out on his knee. After a slow start to preseason, he threw two touchdown passes in just seven attempts in the final preseason game to earn his spot.
- Nick Bellore, FB/LB, Seattle
Bellore was also released and then immediately re-signed. He remains at fullback, although he did get some reps at his old linebacker position in camp. On special teams, he had three penalties in the first game.
- Jojo Natson, WR/RS, Los Angeles Rams
Natson is listed as a second-stringer and will handle kick and punt duties. He caught five passes for 21 yards and a touchdown in preseason but struggled in the return game.
- Josh McCown, QB, Philadelphia
McCown saw action in the penultimate preseason game, completing 17 of 24 passes for 192 yards and two touchdowns. He did fumble once though.
- Parry Nickerson, CB, Seattle
The Seahawks acquired Nickerson for a conditional future draft pick prior to final cuts. Pete Carroll is already comparing him to Justin Coleman.
- Eric Tomlinson, TE, New York Giants
Tomlinson was signed by the Giants after being released in final cuts by the Jets.
- Eric Smith, OT, New York Giants
The Giants also claimed Smith off waivers after the Jets released him in final cuts.
Here is a list of players who’ve only been on the Jets’ practice squad or on the team during the offseason or preseason that made other team’s active rosters. Where relevant, extra details are included in parentheses:
- Jesse Davis, G, Miami (will start at left tackle despite a poor season)
- Matt LaCosse, TE, New England (only played one preseason game, then sprained his ankle)
- Kalif Raymond, WR/PR, Tennessee (13-204 receiving, averaged 11.2 yards per punt return)
- Darius Jennings, WR, Tennessee (3-27 receiving, 3-89 on kickoff returns)
- Anthony Firkser, TE, Tennessee (6-76-TD receiving, on six targets)
- Shelby Harris, DL, Denver (three starts in preseason, two tackles)
- Kerry Hyder, DL, Dallas (five tackles and two sacks in preseason)
- Andrew Sendejo, S, Philadelphia (two starts, two tackles, one pass defensed)
- Patrick Scales, LS, Chicago
- Josh Johnson, QB, Detroit (23-43-313-TD-INT passing and 8-32-TD rushing)
- Teddy Bridgewater, QB, New Orleans (43-70-400-2TD-INT)
- Raheem Mostert, RB, San Francisco (9-66 rushing, 2-42 receiving)
- Cairo Santos, K, Tennessee (just signed after being cut by the Bucs)
- Austin Calitro, LB, Jacksonville (just claimed off waivers from Seattle)
Former Jets added to practice squads
- Tyler Jones OL Denver
- Davis Webb QB Buffalo
- Elijah McGuire RB Cleveland
- Jachai Polite OLB Seattle
- John Battle S Tampa Bay
- Zach Sterup OL Miami
- Brandin Bryant DL Cleveland
- Jordan Leggett TE Tampa Bay
- John Wolford QB Los Angeles Rams
- Mark Thompson RB Detroit
Former Jets on IR or PUP/NFI
- Isaiah Crowell RB Oakland
- JJ Wilcox S Atlanta
- Mike Liedtke OL Tampa Bay
- Destiny Vaeao DL Carolina
- Josh Martin OLB New Orleans
- Michael Hunter CB Kansas City
- Ibraheim Campbell S Green Bay (PUP)
- Terrelle Pryor WR Jacksonville
- Ben Ijalana T Jacksonville
- Nico Falah C Denver
- Jermaine Kearse WR Detroit
- Charles Johnson WR Philadelphia
- Tyvis Powell S Dallas
- Jonathan Celestin LB Carolina
(Note: Some of these players have been released from injured reserve already, while others are eligible to return).
Former Jets cut and as yet unsigned
- Derrick Jones CB Green Bay/Houston
- Brandon Wilds RB San Francisco
- Mike Pennel DL New England
- Clive Walford TE Miami
- Dieugot Joseph OL Atlanta
- Wesley Johnson C San Fransisco
- Will Tye TE Philadelphia
- Thomas Rawls RB Jacksonville
- Jason Vander Laan TE Carolina
- DeAngelo Yancey WR Tennessee
- Rishard Matthews WR New Orleans
- Cairo Santos PK Tampa Bay
- Wes Saxton TE Seattle
- Jake Ceresna DL New York Giants
- Juston Burris CB Cleveland
- Quadree Henderson WR/PR Jacksonville
- Tre McBride WR Jacksonville
- Anthony Garcia OL Indianapolis
- Obum Gwacham OLB Indianapolis
- Charcandrick West RB Indianapolis
- Chad Hansen WR Houston
- Deon Simon DL Green Bay
- Tommy Bohanon FB Green Bay
- Jerome Cunningham TE Detroit
- Shamarko Thomas S Denver
- Marcus Murphy RB/KR/PR Buffalo
- Bruce Carter LB Atlanta
- Ronald Martin S Atlanta
- Matt Simms QB Atlanta
- Jeremiah Attaochu OLB Kansas City
- DeAngelo Henderson RB Minnesota
- Vladimir Ducasse OL Buffalo
- Dimitri Flowers FB Jacksonville
- Darius James OL Washington
- Harold Jones-Quartey CB Kansas City
- Fred Jones DL Detroit
- Neal Sterling TE Kansas City
- ArDarius Stewart WR Washington
- Xavier Ubosi WR Tampa Bay