We’re reviewing how former Jets are getting on with their current NFL teams. Having looked at more recent Jets within the last year in the first installment, we’ll be looking at some ex-Jets who left the team prior to cutdown day last season in this installment.
As ever, this list is intended to be exhaustive, but if we missed anyone, let us know in the comments.
We’ll start with players who have actually played for the Jets in regular season action.
- Julian Stanford, LB, Buffalo
Stanford, who played a reserve role for the Bills last season, is listed as a second team linebacker. He had one tackle off the bench and gave up a first down catch in the first preseason game and had five tackles and an illegal contact penalty in the second one.
- Vladimir Ducasse, OL, Buffalo
Ducasse, who is in his 10th season, did a good job of run blocking in the first preseason game, but also gave up a pressure and had a false start. The Bills released him last weekend.
- Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB, Miami
Fitzpatrick is battling with Josh Rosen for the Dolphins’ starting quarterback role and is currently listed as the starter. He started their first preseason game, but Rosen started the second one. Fitzpatrick has completed just five of 14 passes for 40 yards and rushing for nine yards on three carries. Rosen has been up and down.
- Randy Bullock, K, Cincinnati
Bullock is currently listed as the Bengals’ number one kicker. His only kick in the first preseason game was a successful extra point. He also kicked off once, putting it deep in the end zone. In game two, his only kick was a missed extra point and he kicked off one. His competition for the role, Tristan Vizcaino, is 2-for-3 on field goals, including a made 57-yarder.
- Sheldon Richardson, DL, Cleveland
Richardson is currently listed as a starter, but he’s dealing with an abdominal injury and didn’t play in the first preseason game.
- Chad Hansen, WR, Houston
Hansen is currently listed as a third-string wide receiver. He caught a 15-yard pass off the bench on his only target in the first preseason game.
- Obum Gwacham, EDGE, Indianapolis
Gwacham is listed as a third string defensive end. He had one quarterback hit and one pressure in the Colts first preseason game.
- Ben Ijalana, OL, Jacksonville
Ijalana was out of work until last weekend, when he signed with the Jaguars. He played in Thursday’s preseason game, during which he got beaten for a sack and had a false start penalty.
- Troymaine Pope, RB, Los Angeles Chargers
Pope, who played one game for the Jets and rushed for one yard on one carry, is currently listed as the fourth running back with the Chargers. In the first preseason game, he rushed for 15 yards on six carries, caught two passes for 20 yards and returned a punt eight yards and a kickoff 19 yards.
- Devin Smith, WR, Dallas
Smith, who isn’t currently listed on the Cowboys’ depth chart, had a decent first preseason game. He caught three passes for 54 yards with a longest of 20 yards.
- Will Tye, TE, Philadelphia
Tye, who is currently listed on the third unit, came off the bench in the first preseason game but didn’t record any statistics and didn’t grade out well as a blocker. However, he led the Eagles with three catches for 34 yards in the second game.
- Oday Aboushi, OL, Detroit
Aboushi is listed as the Lions’ second-string right guard and came off the bench in the first preseason game. He gave up a hit, a pressure and a holding penalty.
- Damon Harrison, DT, Detroit
Harrison has been attending practice despite a contract dispute, but hasn’t participated yet as he remains on the non-football injury list.
- Tommy Bohanon, FB, Green Bay
Bohanon signed with the Packers after the first preseason game. He’ll compete with Danny Vitale and Malcolm Johnson for the fullback job. He played 10 snaps off the bench in the second game.
- Deon Simon, DT, Green Bay
Simon is currently listed as a third-string defensive end. He saw plenty of action off the bench and had two run stuffs in the first preseason game. He didn’t play as much in the second game, but had one more run stop.
- Matt Simms, QB, Atlanta
Simms was recently signed by Atlanta and is listed as their number three quarterback. He only completed 8 of 17 passes for 86 yards in the second preseason game, but led a touchdown drive which he capped with a successful two-point conversion pass. Simms also rushed three times for 13 yards and fumbled once. Against the Jets, he played the entire second half, but completed just nine of 19 passes and didn’t lead the Falcons to any points in addition to throwing a pick-six.
- Bruce Carter, LB, Atlanta
Carter is listed as a second-stringer but has actually started all three preseason games so far. He has just one tackle though.
- Ronald Martin, S, Atlanta
Martin was only just signed and is currently listed as a fourth-string safety. He saw action off the bench in the second game, registering one tackle, but only played on special teams against the Jets.
- Demario Davis, LB, New Orleans
Davis remains a starter with the Saints. His four tackles in the preseason opener included three run stops close to the line of scrimmage.
- Kevin Minter, LB, Tampa Bay
Minter is currently listed on the second unit. In the first preseason game, he came off the bench to lead the team with six tackles, including one on special teams. However, he also got beaten for a touchdown in coverage. He had three tackles and a pass defensed in game two.
- Geno Smith, QB, Seattle
Smith is battling for his job and had to have a procedure on his knee after the first preseason game, although he still hopes to play this weekend. He went just 3-for-9 and was sacked twice. He did rack up 58 yards on those three completions, though, and also rushed three times for 21 yards.
- Nick Bellore, FB/LB, Seattle
Bellore, who converted to fullback with the Lions, has been playing fullback AND linebacker with the Seahawks in camp, although he only played fullback in the first preseason game. He caught two passes for 10 yards, but also had three holding penalties on special teams.
- Wes Saxton, TE, Seattle
Saxton signed earlier this month due to a series of injuries at the position. He caught a 26-yard pass and was in on a special teams tackle in their first preseason game.
- Jojo Natson, WR/RS, Los Angeles Rams
Natson is listed as a wide receiver on the second unit and as the team’s only kick and punt returner. In the preseason opener, he had a slow start as he lost yards on his only punt return and dropped a pass. His only reception was a four yard catch.
- Wesley Johnson, OL, San Francisco
Johnson, who is listed as the number two center, started the preseason opener for the 49ers. He graded out well, with no pressures or penalties.
To wrap up, here is a list of players who’ve only been on the practice squad or on the team during the offseason or preseason. Where relevant, details of roster transactions or stats from the first preseason game are included in parentheses:
- Marcus Murphy, RB, Buffalo (two games, 12-54 rushing)
- Clive Walford, TE, Miami (two games, 3-44)
- David Rivers, CB, Miami (two games, three tackles)
- Jesse Davis, G, Miami (two starts at right tackle)
- Zach Sterup, G, Miami
- Matt LaCosse, TE, New England (2-37, one holding penalty, sprained ankle)
- Brandin Bryant, DL, Cleveland
- Antonio Garcia, OT, Indianapolis (one holding penalty)
- Zach Conque, TE, Indianapolis (waived on Sunday)
- Thomas Rawls, RB, Jacksonville (one game, 7-19 rushing, 3-19 receiving)
- Tre McBride III, WR, Jacksonville (two games, 7-89 receiving, 2-51 kick returns)
- Dimitri Flowers, FB, Jacksonville (released in May)
- Kalif Raymond, WR/PR, Tennessee (6-80 receiving, 3-35 punt returns, 24 yard kick return)
- Darius Jennings, WR, Tennessee (1-9 on three targets plus two-point conversion and 23 yard kick return)
- Anthony Firkser, TE, Tennessee (2-29-TD)
- Jordan Williams, LB, Tennessee (one tackle, IR’d on Monday)
- Shelby Harris, DL, Denver (started twice, two tackles, one for a loss)
- Shamarko Thomas, S, Denver (two games, three tackles, one sack)
- Michael Hunter, CB, Kansas City (four tackles including two on special teams, one interception)
- Harold Jones-Quartey, CB, Kansas City
- Brandon Barnes, TE, Oakland
- Kerry Hyder, DL, Dallas (one QB hit - on an intercepted pass)
- Brett Maher, K, Dallas (only kicker on roster, 3-4 FGs - missed from 35 - and two touchbacks)
- Jake Ceresna, DL, New York Giants (two games, two tackles, two penalties)
- Terrell Sinkfield, CB, New York Giants (signed this week)
- Andrew Sendejo, S, Philadelphia (started twice, one tackle, one pass defensed)
- Charles Johnson, WR, Philadelphia (started twice, three catches on nine targets, one special teams tackle)
- Darius James, OL, Washington (released in April)
- Patrick Scales, LS, Chicago
- Josh Johnson, QB, Detroit
- Jerome Cunningham, TE, Detroit (one special teams tackle)
- Reshard Cliett, LB, Minnesota (three tackles, including one on special teams)
- Jason Vander Laan, TE, Carolina (two games, 2-4 receiving, two special teams tackles)
- Teddy Bridgewater, QB, New Orleans (14-19-134-TD)
- Cairo Santos, K, Tampa Bay (two games, 23-yard field goal, 1-1 on extra points)
- Zach Triner, LS, Tampa Bay (only LS on roster)
- Mike Liedtke, OL, Tampa Bay (IR)
- John Wolford, QB, Los Angeles Rams (6-8-54 and 2-12 rushing)
- Austin Calitro, LB, Seattle (started, five tackles, one for loss, one pass defensed)
- Daniel Williams, WR, Seattle (waived in first week of camp)
- Raheem Mostert, RB, San Francisco (3-8 rushing)
- Brandon Wilds, RB, San Francisco (7-29 rushing, 1-4 receiving)
We’ll be back with another update before the regular season.