It’s April 16th, meaning there are only nine days to go until the 2019 NFL Draft kicks off in the heart of Nashville, Tennessee.
As we count down the days until the Jets prepare for their fifth draft under Mike Maccagnan, I thought it would be fun to climb up the ladder of the best Jets draft picks of the 21st century.
Each day until the fateful morning of the 25th, I’ll name off one of the top eleven most productive Jets selections of the millennium. How did I rank them, you might ask? Good question! I stacked them up according to their scores as calculated by my genius formula — proven to be 100% accurate and 0% arbitrary!
Players earned points for accomplishing any of the following while in a Jets uniform:
- 50 points for an All-Pro appearance
- 25 points for a Pro Bowl appearance
- 1 point for each point of Approximate Value (via Pro Football Reference - a number that aims to calculate a player’s total value)
- 0.5 points for each game played
Yesterday, I kicked off the rankings at #11 with Jerricho Cotchery. Let’s move up to #10!
#10 - SIONE POUHA, DEFENSIVE TACKLE
107 points: 54 approximate value (9th among all Jets draft picks since 2000), 106 games played (7th)
- Born and attended high school in Salt Lake City, Utah
- Selected 88th overall by the Jets in the third round of the 2005 Draft (Utah)
- Played entire career with Jets from 2005-12
- Career Jets regular season stats: 260 tackles, 13 tackles for loss, 11 passes defended, 8 quartrback hits, 4.5 sacks, 5 fumble recoveries, one fumble forced, one safety
- Career Jets playoff stats: 6 games, 21 tackles, 2 tackles for loss, one sack
- Pouha ranks tenth all-time in career weighted approximate value among the 156 players drafted out of the University of Utah.
- From 2009 to 2011 (regular season), Pouha collected a total of 95 tackles in the run game for two yards or less and no first down. That placed him first among all defensive linemen over that span, and ninth in the league overall.
- Pouha’s 112 total games played for the Jets currently stands as the most by a player selected by the team in the third round or later since 2000.
- Pouha ranks fifth all-time in career regular season tackles among Jets defensive linemen, with 260.