The 2019 NFL Combine starts next week on Tuesday, February 26, and runs until Monday, March 4. There are always all types of intrigue, subplots and storylines at the Combine, and this year is no different. How will the collection of QBs be rated by the teams? Who will fall? Who will rise? Who will surprise? If any one player can show some QB needy team that he is that franchise-saving player then the Jets’ phone could be ringing come Draft day.
Could Kyler Murray be that guy once the Combine is over with. Maybe there will be a bidding war for pick 3. What did Murray’s coach say about his Draft status? “I will be shocked,” Riley said, “if five players get their name called on Draft day before Kyler.”
How could that possibly be; the guy is sub 5’ 10”?
Let’s see why that might be...
- Kyler Murray could run a sub 4.40/40 with all the coaches watching. He ran the ball 140 times last year for 1,001 yards (7.2 avg) and 12 TDs.
- His offensive line averages a height of almost 6’ 5” and Murray threw the ball from the pocket on 336 out of 377 passes or 89% of the time.
- Linclon Riley ran the same offense for Murray as he ran for Baker Mayfield. He did not in any way alter the sightlines because of his gigantic offensive line.
- Riley said, “Throughout all the years with both Baker and Kyler, I can’t ever remember there being a time where we said, We want to run this play, or use this scheme, or protect this way but we can’t do it because these guys are 5-10 or 6-foot instead of 6-4. It never really entered into the equation. I don’t think their pro coaches are going to think about it either.”
- In 2018 Duke’s Daniel Jones (who is 6’ 5”) threw 392 passes and had 12 passes batted down. Drew Lock of Missouri (who is 6’ 4”) threw 437 passes and had 8; Kyler Murray had only 5 passes batted down last year.
- New Arizona coach Kliff Kingsbury stated in (before he was the Arizona coach) “I would take Murray with the first pick of the Draft if I could.” Monday Murray was asked about that comment, “At the end of the day, they’re going to do what’s best for them. I can’t go into it with any expectations of being taken by the Cardinals. That would be nice for sure.”
Kingsbury and the Cardnials have the first pick and also Josh Rosen.
I call that one heck of a storyline, subplot and intrigue. Plus you know there will be more.
The first three days of the Combine has players arriving then being measured, and I mean measured. Height, weight, hand size, arm length, wing span and teeth will be counted. (I was just kidding about the tooth count.)
Then they will go through a host of interviews with interested teams who will ask them all types of questions. Every year some team gets fined for asking the wrong types of questions, and some ask stupid questions.
Some of the goofy questions of years past...
Jon Toth Center Kentucky
I think it was the Cardinals coach who started off by asking me, “What color is chocolate?” “Brown.” And then he was like, “What color is melted chocolate,” and I think I said dark brown, and he said, “No, don’t overthink it.’” So I said brown. Then he said, “What color is butter?” then, “What color is melted butter?” “Yellow.” “What color is snow?” “White.” “What color is melted snow?” I said, “White.” And then he said, “Nope, melted snow is clear, so what does that make snow?” I was like, “Clear,” he said, “Yep,” and that was kind of the ice-breaker.
Jamaal Williams RB BYU
The weirdest one I’ve ever gotten is, “Are you a cat or are you a dog?” Of course you want to be a dog, so you’ve got some feistiness in you. I’d like to hear what people would say if they’re a cat, but I’m not sure what a compliment would be for a cat. If you’re a cat and you get blown up on a play, do you get back up and you’ve got eight lives now?
Austen D. Lane DE Murray State
A scout asked me if I thought my mother was attractive.
Nick Kasa TE Colorado
Do you have a girlfriend, and do you really like girls?
Dez Bryant WR Oklahoma State (asked by Jeff Ireland GM of the Miami Dolphins)
Ireland - What does your father do for a living?
Bryant - He’s a pimp.
Ireland - What does your mom do?
Bryant - She works for my dad.
Ireland - So your mom is a prostitute?
Blake Bortles QB UCF who dated internet sensation Lindsay Duke
“If we come to town, will she be there for dinner? “
Obum Gwacham DE Oregon State
“When did you lose your virginity?”
He refused to answer.
Toby Gerhart RB Stanford
Do you feel like entitled, or like the you’re the poster child for white running backs?
He didn’t answer either.
Joey Bosa DE Ohio State
How much pressure do you think there will be on your future son to be a first-round defensive end?
Oh man I never really thought about that; I guess I have to marry a tall athletic girl and breed football players.
I’m sure some one will add to this list this year. They always do.
There are 338 participants at this year’s Combine. You can find a list here.
On field workouts begin on Friday, March 1st
Running Backs, Offensive Linemen, Place Kickers and special teams player
Saturday, March 2nd
Quaterbacks, Wide Receivers and Tight Ends
Sunday, March 3rd
Defensive Line and Linebackers
Monday, March 4th
The real question is which player are you most interested in watching or hearing about?
Since I can’t list 338 players, I will just get a general sense of the interest with the groups.
Which position group are you most inerested in watching?
This poll is closed
Special teams /including kickers
DB’s Corners and Safeties
Run Rich Run