Over the course of preseason, we’ve been keeping tabs on players on other teams around the league who had spent time on the Jets’ active roster or practice squad since cutdown day last year.
For our final update of the preseason, most of the high profile players didn’t play this week, but that gives us the luxury of being able to focus more on who made their team, who got released and who ended up on a practice squad.
By popular demand, we’ll also update you on some former Jets who were with the team prior to last year’s cutdown day and in previous years.
Let’s start by focusing on a surprisingly short list of players that actually made it onto their team’s 53-man roster.
- Muhammad Wilkerson, DL, Packers;
- Demario Davis, LB, Saints;
- Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Jaguars;
- Chandler Catanzaro, K, Bucs;
- Jeremy Kerley, WR, Bills;
- Julian Stanford, LB, Bills;
- Marcus Murphy, RB/KR/PR, Bills;
- Travis Swanson, OL, Dolphins; (Note: Swanson is already being released today)
- Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Saints; and
- Chad Hansen, WR, Patriots.
That’s only 10 players, including two who were Jets until last week. By comparison, there were 16 players who made another team’s 2017 opening day roster having been with the Jets since cutdown day in 2016. What we read into this is open to interpretation. Did the 2016 team get rid of a load of talent? Is it a sign the Jets have started to keep the right guys? Are teams simply writing off former Jets players because they can’t get that ex-Jets stank off them?
Of the seven that weren’t still Jets this time last week, only Davis and Catanzaro played in the final preseason game. Davis just played a couple of series and had a run stop and a pressure and Catanzaro made his only field goal and had two touchbacks.
The three players who made the Bills are somewhat surprising as it seems unlikely any of them would have made the Jets. Perhaps this is a sign the Jets have better depth than Buffalo. Murphy might have been a useful punt returner for the Jets, but they don’t have much room at running back.
So far, the following players have been announced as on their team’s practice squad, although this list should grow in the coming weeks:
- Jason Vander Laan, TE, Panthers;
- Deon Simon, NT, Tennessee;
- Bucky Hodges, TE, Steelers;
- Jeremy Langford, RB, Dolphins; and
- Christian Hackenberg, QB, Bengals.
Vander Laan was injured but Simon suited up for the Jets and the other three also played on Thursday night. Hodges had catches of 36 and seven yards, Langford struggled with just 13 yards on six carries and six targets - with one drop and Hackenberg was 7-for-16 with two picks against the Jets, but did rush for 66 yards.
Cut or injured
The following players did not make their team’s 53-man roster and have not yet been added to a practice squad:
- Nick Rose, PK, Texans;
- Bryce Petty, QB, Dolphins (IR);
- Wesley Johnson, OL, Lions;
- Kony Ealy, DL, Cowboys;
- Freddie Bishop, OLB, Lions;
- Damore’ea Stringfellow, WR, Seahawks;
- Jojo Natson, WR/KR/PR, Rams;
- Kalif Raymond, WR/KR/PR, Giants;
- Korren Kirven, OL, Cowboys (injured);
- Edmond Robinson, LB, Cardinals;
- Geoff Gray, OL, Browns;
- Michael Hunter, CB, Giants;
- Travaris Cadet, RB, Bills;
- Anthony Johnson, DL, Colts (IR);
- Lord Hyeamang, OL, Rams;
- Robert Nelson, DB, Saints;
- Marcus Williams, DB, Saints; and
- Will Tye, TE, Patriots (IR).
From that list, players who had notable performances this week included Stringfellow, who had two catches for 90 yards, including an 81-yard touchdown, and Cadet, who rushed for 73 yards on just six carries.
Already out of action
The following players had already been released before preseason, have since retired or had suffered a season-ending injury.
- S Jeremy Cash is out for the season with a knee injury suffered in the first preseason game;
- RB Akeem Judd opted to retire last week;
- DL Claude Pelon signed with Tennessee but then tore his ACL a few days later; and
- TE Zach Conque signed with Jacksonville but was released in June.
Less-recent ex-Jets on active rosters
The following ex-Jets from before last September are currently on a team’s 53-man roster, although that may change in some cases between now and opening day:
- Chris Ivory, RB, Bills;
- Kerry Hyder, DL, Lions;
- Jacquies Smith, DE, Cardinals;
- Sheldon Richarson, DL, Vikings;
- Anthony Firkser, TE, Titans;
- Austin Calitro, LB, Seahawks;
- Mike Liedtke, OL, Bucs;
- Jesse Davis, OL, Dolphins;
- Shelby Harris, DL, Broncos;
- Raheem Mostert, RB/KR;
- Bruce Ellington, WR/KR/PR, Texans;
- Tommy Bohanon, FB, Jaguars;
- Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB, Bucs;
- Brandon Marshall, WR, Seahawks;
- Marcus Gilchrist, S, Raiders;
- Stevan Ridley, RB, Steelers;
- Geno Smith, QB, Chargers; and
- Jarvis Jenkins, DL, Chiefs.
Looking down that list there’s a few pass rushers who have been more productive than any Jets player over the past few years, a couple of young offensive linemen and a fullback. So maybe there’s a couple of players the team gave up on prematurely that could have helped the current team.
It’s also interesting to see some former undrafted free agents proving their worth elsewhere having not made an impression with the Jets.
Alex Collins is another regret, after he almost rushed for a thousand yards last season with the Ravens. However, he wasn’t actually a Jet. He originally agree to join their practice squad last September before changing his mind and going elsewhere, though.
Less recent ex-Jets released or injured over the last week
Finally, let’s wrap up with a list of other ex-Jets from before last September who were cut this week, in case you were wondering what had happened to any of these guys. There aren’t many names on that list that would interest the Jets in a potential reunion:
- Kyle Friend, OL, Panthers;
- Ronald Martin, S, Colts;
- Troymaine Pope, RB, Texans (made initial 53, cut Sunday);
- Brandon Wilds, RB, Jaguars (made practice squad);
- Robensen Therezie, S, Colts (IR);
- Brian Parker, TE, Broncos (made practice squad);
- Jermaine Cunningham, TE, Titans (made practice squad);
- KD Cannon, WR, Cowboys;
- Jeremy Faulk, DL, Browns;
- Shamarko Thomas, S, Steelers;
- Austin Howard, OL, Colts;
- Shane Wynn, RB/KR, Jaguars;
- Algie Brown, FB, Chiefs;
- Jace Amaro, TE, Chiefs;
- Braedon Bowman, TE, Chargers;
- DaShaun Phillips, CB, Steelers;
- Leon McFadden, CB, Falcons;
- Jeremiah George, LB, Colts (IR);
- Dexter McDougle, CB, Lions;
- DeVier Posey, WR, Ravens;
- Wes Saxton, TE, 49ers;
- Eric Decker, WR, Patriots (retired);
- Breno Giacomini, T, Raiders; and
- Oday Aboushi, OL, Raiders.
We’ll update you on the progress of these players at the bye week and at the end of the season.