It’s here, oh, it’s finally here! Monday is opening day of the 2018 Jets season, but it’s so much more than that. On September 10, under the bright lights of Monday Night Football, the beginning of the Sam Era unfolds in front of a nation wide audience. as Sam Darnold makes his debut. After four weeks of scintillating preseason football we finally get to see the Jets new star and his compadres in real NFL action, taking on the Detroit Lions. So it’s time for another season of hilariously inept Bold Predictions.
This week is pretty much impossible to predict. The first week of the season every team is filled with hopes and dreams but nobody is quite sure how anything will unfold. Will the youngsters develop? Can the old guys squeeze out one more good year? How will the prized free agents work out? Will the new coaches work some magic or go down in flames? Nobody knows, but here at Bold Predictions I nonetheless boldly go where angels fear to tread. I will put my
fine good ok not completely reprehensible reputation on the line and try to predict the unpredictable. Should be good for some giggles.
Disclaimer: A Bold Prediction is not something that is likely or probable to happen. Bold Predictions are
blind guesses that are laughably optimistic beyond what anyone can reasonably expect to happen, but not so far as to be virtually impossible. Saying that Leonard Williams will get a sack is not a Bold Prediction, nor is saying that Bilal Powell will run for 650 yards. By definition, Bold Predictions are unlikely, but not impossible, to occur. Since this is a Jets site, they are also pro-Jets predictions. As always, the Final Score prediction is meant to be realistic, not a Bold Prediction.
Here are my five Bold Predictions for Monday’s game:
1. Sam Darnold. Never bury the lead, right? Gotta start with Sam. Let’s see, what will Sam do? How about this: Sam Darnold will kill it. 275+ passing yards, 2+ touchdowns, no turnovers and a passer rating of 100+. Right out of the gate and Sam dominates. Welcome to the NFL our prodigal son.
2. Somebody’s gotta catch those Darnold darts, right? And who better to assist Sam’s sterling efforts than Neal Sterling? Our new starting tight end will have Jets fans dreaming of the days of Mickey Shuler. Well, at least fans who actually remember Mickey Shuler. Sterling goes off for 5+ catches, 80+ yards and a touchdown. Local (Belmar, NJ) boy makes good.
3. How about a punter prediction? We never have those, and punters are people too, or so the rumor goes. So here’s to you Lachlan Edwards. Lac booms his punts to the tune of a 54+ yard average, including one that goes 70+ yards.
4. Enough talk, time to back it up. Jamal Adams sheds his iron mitts for a soft pair of hands and picks off Matthew Stafford, taking it to the house.
5. The Jets defense holds the Lions offense to less than 60 yards rushing and less than 3 yards per carry.
And a bonus prediction: Jets special teams will not surrender a single kick return over 20 yards nor a punt return over 10 yards. Wouldn’t that be weird?
Final Score: Koolaid is nice, but too much is making me a bit queasy. Coming back to reality, a rookie quarterback on the road on prime time is a difficult way to start the season. Stafford and company light up the Jets in the face of the novel Jets no pressure defensive approach. Lions 27, Jets 20.