The Jets fell to the Eagles in a 10-9 slopfest in which playing time was dominated by backups. Despite the ugliness, it’s my duty to go back and chart the performance of the Jets offensive line! Let’s take a look at who stood out in ways good and bad against Philadelphia.
Previous editions: Pre 1, Pre 2, Pre 3
As I will always mention, it is impossible to capture everything with the stats, but with this series I hope to capture the most impactful plays accumulated by each linemen, both positive and negative, to help better our perspective on their production. Every single snap does matter, and here we will only be grading a small portion of those snaps, but this data can still help shape our opinions on players more properly and truly. Do not use these numbers as final judgement, but as useful evidence.
So far, I’ve been tracking:
- Stuffs (runs for 2 yards or less and no first down) allowed in the run game
- Rushing first downs assisted
- “Setup runs” assisted (which I defined as a 6+ yard pickup on 1st/2nd down that did not result in a first down). Despite not resulting in a first down, these kinds of pickups are still positive plays that deserve to be tracked.
- Sacks allowed
- QB hits allowed
- QB pressures allowed (which I defined as instances where the QB was forced to throw an uncatchable incompletion)
- Deflections allowed (occurrences when allowing the currently engaged defender to bat/deflect a pass at the line)
- Penalties (Total accepted, yards, first downs/scores wiped out, and declined)
Here are the numbers for the Jets in Week 4. Not all linemen who appeared in the game are on the list - only those who tallied one of the plays above.
Here are the final numbers for the team throughout the preseason. As you’d expect, this is an extremely long list. Once the regular season rolls around, it will obviously shrink quite a bit.
Thoughts on the blocking performance put out by the Jets this preseason - not only along the offensive line, but at the skill positions? Any suggestions or ideas for the presentation or content of the series going into the regular season? Let me know?
Who was the best performing offensive lineman for the Jets this preseason (yep, you have to pick one)
This poll is closed