I was waiting until after the combine to write this report. I've seen 7-8 games worth of tape on Peterman and he is without doubt, one of my favourite prospects in this draft. He's also a quarterback that I'd feel extremely comfortable with, and I'll try to explain that below. Yesterday I mentioned that I'm a fond believer in the theory that you keep swinging year after year until you land your QB. Personally I'd love to see the Jets take a swing on Peterman, although it'll cost a 2nd round pick to do it. If we can move down and collect more picks in the middle rounds, this is a direction I'd like to see us go.
I've also changed up the format of the draft profiles after listening to feedback. A lot of people didn't care about a lot of the information, so I've cut it down.
Hometown: Jacksonville, Florida
Weight: 225 lb’s
Arms: 31 3/8"
Hands 9 7/8"
40 Yard Dash: 4.82
Vertical Jump: 31"
Broad Jump: 110"
3 Cone Drill: 7.14
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.31
2013 (Tennessee) - 10/23, 45 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT
2014 (Tennessee) - 10/20, 49 yards,
2015 (Pittsburgh) - 193/313 (61.7%), 2287 yards, 20 TD, 8 INT
2016 (Pittsburgh) - 185/306 (60.5%), 2855 yards, 27 TD, 7 INT
Kirk Cousins - Washington Redskins
- Experience running a pro-style offense.
- Good footwork, has worked from under center
- Good general size, good hand size for cold New York winters.
- Hangs in the pocket, not afraid to get hit.
- Shows an ability to throw while on the run. Moving to left and right.
- Showed an ability to identify pressure, slide and step up in the pocket.
- Showed an ability to get through progressions, not a one read guy.
- Ball placement is largely excellent, puts it where his receivers can grab it, defenders can't touch it.
- Throws with good accuracy and touch, anticipates breaks and delivers on time.
- Has the arm strength to work sideline to sideline.
- Uses his eyes to move safeties to create windows to throw into.
- Has shown an ability to thread the needle on deep passes.
- Natural athlete who extends plays easily.
- He's not a running QB, but he'll go if you give him space. 286 yards and 3 rushing TD's in 2016.
- Completed over 45% of his deep passes (ball travelling more than 20 yards in the air), that's elite.
- Perfect west coast offense QB due to accuracy, progressions and anticipation.
- Had a very strong week at the Senior Bowl, impressed in throwing drills at the combine.
- Takes a few chances trying to fit balls into windows where there is an easy completion.
- Needs to learn that it's fine to just throw the ball away sometimes.
- He has the arm strength, but he still has a tendency to float instead of drive balls.
- Puts too much heat on some short passes, causes unnecessary incompletions.
- When he is tucking to run, he needs to protect the ball better. (see 2 fumbles against Virginia Tech)
I think he'll get drafted in the 2nd round, and I think he'll get drafted early 2nd round at that.
Peterman on Peterman
“Having some tough skin as a quarterback is necessary. Nothing is going to faze your confidence. Nothing has for me. That's one of the ultimate attributes and traits a quarterback needs." - Nathan Peterman, Combine