Now this may be a little controversial, but when asked to name my star from day two, I said Chris Godwin without hesitation. John Ross will get the attention for running a 4.22, and that's fine. But...I already knew he was sub 4.3 fast, and due to him injuring himself on the run, he was unable to work out for the rest of the day.
Chris Godwin put on a show out there. The junior receiver from Penn State who finished 2016 with 59 receptions for 982 yards and 11 touchdowns improved his draft stock with a near perfect performance.
He ran a quick 4.42 in the forty, was a top performer on the bench with 19 reps and a top performer in the 20 yard shuttle with a time of 4 seconds flat. He ran the gauntlet to perfection staying close to the line and catching every ball thrown his way. His cuts on his routes were sharp and he showcased his hands to every scout in attendance.
I already liked Godwin as a prospect from his Penn State tape...I like him even more now.
There were a few other notes I made from yesterday:
- Zay Jones really helped himself with his 40 time, still one of the best receivers in the class.
- Mitch Trubisky and DeShaun Watson separated themselves as the two best QB's, showed good touch and anticipation on the timing routes.
- This tight end class is ridiculous. I was especially impressed with Evan Engram from Ole Miss and Gerald Everett from South Alabama.
- Brad Kaaya struggled a little bit when throwing deep, but I actually thought his footwork was pretty damn good. I've seen him called a day 2 loser, not for me, I thought his workout was largely good.
- I really wasn't impressed with DeShone Kizer through the workouts. His throwing session worried me, accuracy was off on even the simplest of routes.
- Reuben Foster was a huge loser from yesterday. He was sent packing after an incident with someone at the medical. He said nothing happened, but he allegedly used the most cringe worthy phrase anyone can use "Do you know who I am"
- Cooper Kupp has to be disappointed with that 40 time (4.6). The Eastern Washington product looked pretty slow through his entire workout.
Confirmed Formal Meetings - Jets
Deshaun Watson - QB
Mitch Trubisky - QB
Patrick Mahomes - QB
Cooper Rush - QB
DeShone Kizer - QB
Dalvin Cook - RB
Jahad Thomas - RB
Patt Elflein - OL
Gerald Everett - TE
David NJoku - TE
Dan Feeney - OL
Taco Charlton - DE
Garrett Sickels - DL
Marcus Maye - S
Marshon Lattimore - CB