Hometown: Tyler, Texas
High School: John Tyler High School
Recruitment: 3 Stars
Projected 40 Time: 4.59
- 2016 Phil Steele’s AAC Second Team
- 2016 American Athletic Conference Second Team
- 2016 Butkus Award Watch List
2013 - 26 tackles, 5.5 for a loss, 5 sacks, 1 INT, 6 passes defended, 1 FF
2014 - 13 tackles, 3.5 for a loss, 3 sacks
2015 - 51 tackles, 7 for a loss, 6 sacks, 1 INT, 3 passes defended, 1 FF
2016 - 47 tackles, 12 for a loss, 8.5 sacks, 4 passes defended, 1 FF
- Explosive first step
- Dips around the corner with little wasted movement.
- Can rush the passer or drop into coverage.
- Speed isn't restricted to explosion, has decent coverage speed.
- Plays with a high motor.
- Fluid movement across the board.
- Good length to his frame.
- Has a very good rip move already established
- Has a good punch to his game
- Still developing his pass rushing repertoire.
- Doesn't use his hands enough.
- Can get engulfed by bigger tackles.
- Needs to convert speed to power better.
- Inconsistent technique
Bowser is one of my favorite prospects in this draft. He's continued to develop after splitting time between football and basketball early in his college career. He was asked to play a lot of coverage in college, more than I've seen from a prospect in quite a while, but he was very productive in coverage and looked natural and fluid. There are some footwork problems with Bowser and general technique inefficiencies, but with good coaching that can be eradicated.
Here is what I like, he was asked to rush the passer, play the run in one gap responsibility and drop into coverage. Basically he was utilised like many NFL teams utilise their linebackers, so he already has experience. He missed 5 games last year and still had very good production, and personally I think his explosion off the edge means he can come in and play straight away as a situational pass-rusher, but long-term he can be an every down linebacker.
At the moment he's slated to go towards the end of the 2nd or start of the 3rd round.
Draft Round Prediction: 2nd Round