I've been looking at Zay Jones for a while now, but after such a positive week at the Senior Bowl, I thought it made sense to post this now. I'm going to openly admit right now that I personally think that Zay Jones is going to be a star in the NFL. Not just a pretty decent player, but a star. It's not often I'll say that about a player, but after doing extensive research into Zay, going far beyond just watching tape...I really believe in this guy.
Hometown: Dallas, Texas
High School: Stephen F. Austin Texas
Recruitment: 3 Star (247 sports)
NCAA Division I football career leader in receptions
First-team all American (2016)
2016 Biletnikoff Award Finalist
Combine 40 Time: 4.46
2016 - 158 receptions, 1,746 yards, 8 TD's
2015 - 98 receptions, 1,099 yards, 5 TD's
2014 - 81 receptions, 830 yards, 5 TD's
2013 - 62 receptions, 604 yards, 5 TD's
- Extremely productive in college.
- Works extremely hard in the film room, tape hound.
- Dad played for the Cowboys, football runs in the family.
- Exceptional hands, catches anything thrown his way.
- Makes circus catches look routine.
- Excellent concentration, never takes his eyes off the ball.
- Plucks the ball away from his body, textbook technique.
- Excellent balance and body control.
- Has worked across all the receiver positions at ECU.
- High points the ball and has a long frame that helps.
- Plays at 100% at all times, never takes a snap off.
- Gives 100% effort in the blocking game.
- Shifty player who gains separation in the short-intermediate game.
- Is a good red-zone target, questionable QB play hindered production.
- Doesn't have elite straight line speed. (edit - ran a 4.46 at the combine)
- Could add a little more bulk to help with the blocking
Do you get the impression that I like this guy? Well I do, and at the moment he's slated to go around the 3rd round, but after the combine and interview process...I think he'll go higher. He won't wow you with his speed, but as a pure receiver, his technique is just fantastic. He has football in his blood and his commitment to perfection will make him a star. If you can get a wide receiver who shows off excellent hands with good body control and an ability to get separation, you better make an effort to draft him. He represents excellent value at the moment.I've read pretty much every article online about Zay, I've read interviews with his former coaches, teammates, parents, you name it, I've seen it. I like to do my research before claiming someone will be a star, well after all of that, I'm comfortable saying I think he's going to be a star.
For a good overall look at Zay, give this article a read.
Draft Round Prediction:
At the moment I've seen him slated anywhere from the 3rd to the 5th, which to me is ridiculous. I think he'll continue to shine and his draft stock will continue to rise, I wouldn't be shocked to see him taken in the 1st, but if he escapes the 2nd round, someone will get a steal in the 3rd.