The preseason opener of 2016 is in the books for the Jets. Here are five thoughts I had.
1. The Jets can use tempo this season: The Jets went up tempo on their second offensive series with the starters, and it worked, resulting in a touchdown. This could be a feature of the offense this year. There is lots of versatility at the skill positions. Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker both have extensive experience working outside and in the slot. Jace Amaro and Quincy Enunwa can both play tight end spots or go out wide. Matt Forte and Bilal Powell both have skills as receivers. The Jets can go no huddle to prevent the other team from substituting and then line their guys up to create mismatches.
2. Quarterback play was a mixed bag: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, and Bryce Petty all had good and bad moments. Fitzpatrick didn't play a whole lot. Smith and Petty showed some flashes of growth but other frustrating moments. I don't think you can say the game was a massive failure of a massive success for any of them.
3. Nick Folk can breathe a bit easier: After a reportedly strong training camp, Ross Martin went a long way towards kicking himself out of the team's competition at placekicker. Martin badly hooked a field goal attempt from 39 yards and then came up short on a 54 yarder. The 54 yarder might have been more on Todd Bowles since he didn't have the leg to make it last night. It probably was the coach's way of seeing how a young guy responded to adversity.
4. Jeremy Ross and Kenbrell Thompkins should be a little more nervous: Ross actually had a really nice game with 3 catches for 51 yards and a 51 yard kickoff return. His problem is that his potential role largely overlaps with Jalin Marshall's, and Marshall is younger with much more upside. The young guy topped Ross with an 84 yard return. Thompkins is older and more expensive than Charone Peake with significantly less upside. It is possible both Thompkins and Peake could stick. If it comes down to one, Peake likely stays unless he is significantly worse. Peake led the Jets with 4 catches last night.
5. The fans who booed Geno Smith were dumb: It's preseason.