Hometown: Fort Valley, Georgia
High School: Fort Valley
Recruitment: 4-Star Recruit by ESPN, 4-Star recruit byScout
Injuries/Discipline: 4 suspensions in college. 3 for marijuana and 1 for undisclosed reasons (single game).
40 Yard Dash: 4.59
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.19
3 Cone: 6.77
2015: 47 receptions, 520 yards, 11.1 yard average, 2 touchdowns.
2014: 53 receptions, 810 yards, 15.3 yard average, 7 touchdowns.
2013: 5 receptions, 23 yards, 4.6 yard average, 0 touchdowns.
• Good size, length and speed.
• Can challenge all areas of the field
• Good acceleration off the line.
• Uses his hands well to get off press coverage.
• Moves through the gears effortlessly.
• Makes some very difficult catches look easy.
• Is a good home run threat.
• 4 suspensions say enough.
• Don't always see the effort.
• Drops too many easy catches
• Will struggle to get separation in the NFL.
• Maturity issues throughout college.
• Rounds off his routes, needs refining.
• Doesn't block very well when he's not in the game.
• Needs to track the ball better downfield.
• Often goes down too easily on first contact.
When I watched his 2014 tape, I really wanted to believe that he was going to take the next step in 2015, that just didn't happen. Florida as a whole offense struggled in 2015, but Demarcus did nothing to separate himself from any other wide receiver. I've heard him called selfish and immature. I've heard people question his desire and his commitment, and I can't argue with any of that, I just don't want to write him off completely.
I think you need to do a lot of work with him to make him a viable NFL receiver. His routes are lazy and sloppy and regardless of what his suspensions are for, having 4 in the space of a 3 year career is simply unacceptable. Does he really want to be the best? Or does he want to make some money so he can mess around with his friends. I don't know the answer to that, but I'd rather it not be the Jets who found out.
There is no doubt that he has talent and he has good speed, but he didn't dominate at the college level and I have no reason to believe that'll be any different at the NFL level. Personally I have him between the 6th round and UDFA. I wouldn't use a draft pick on him personally.
Draft Grade: 55
90-100 = Exceptional Talent
80-90 = Impact Player
70-80 = NFL Starter
60-70 = Solid NFL Potential
50-60 = Draftable - Lot of work needed
>50 = Undraftable, - Long Shot To Stick