Let's talk about Super Bowls of the last decade. What were the best and the worst games? This is a ranking of the last ten Super Bowls from six to ten. We will do one through five in a future post.
Here is my criteria.
- Overall quality of the game.
- Some Super Bowls matter more than others. This is talking about historical context. Some games secure the legacy of historic teams. Others cost teams a place in history. These have a higher priority.
- How many memorable moments were there?
- What were the compelling storylines?
10: Super Bowl XLVIII: Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
This was a total rout from start to finish. The Seahawks played a great game, but this one felt like it was more about the Broncos laying an egg. On the first play from scrimmage, the Broncos took a safety because of an unforced error. Recent Super Bowls have typically been somewhat competitive, but this was the exception.
9. Super Bowl XL: Steelers 21 Seahawks 10
8. Super Bowl XLI: Colts 29 Bears 17
7. Super Bowl XLV: Packers 31 Steelers 25
6. Super Bowl XLIV: Saints 31 Colts 17
This is a game where the storyline matters. The Saints were a franchise with a tortured history. They entered 2009 with two postseason wins in a history that spanned over four decades. The city of New Orleans had suffered devastation just a few years earlier at the hand of Hurricane Katrina. New Orleans rallied from 10 points down to win its first Super Bowl. Sean Payton made a gutsy call trying an onside kick. It worked, and the Saints took the lead on the ensuing touchdown drive. The lead changed twice more in the second half before Tracy Porter's iconic pick six where he points at the camera in the end zone iced the game.