Today was a great game. It was fun and there's a lot to look forward to about the 2015 New York Jets. Here are some thoughts about the game.
- Brandon Marshall and Marcus Williams were the offensive and defensive players of the game.
- Marshall is what we thought he was, a game changer that can turn a game on its head just like that.
- Williams is looking more and more like a steal. Although we of course don't want to see anybody injured, it looks like he'll be able to fill in well for Antonio Cromartie.
- Back to Marshall, his strip of the would-be interception was the play of the game in my book. The team was down 0-7, there was little to be encouraged about, and Ryan Fitzpatrick threw a pick. We've seen the game get out of hand for the Jets too many times at that point, and Marshall's strip was huge.
- Fitzpatrick looked efficient, same as he during the preseason game against the New York Giants. He really doesn't have much of a deep ball and his arm isn't what it used to be, but he got the job done well. However, he lucked out thanks to Marshall's forced fumble, as I said above. From my view, it was a really bad pick, but he recovered well. If he can keep playing like this, Geno Smith won't be taking his job back.
- I don't know what the deal is with Jeremy Kerley, but he didn't catch a ball and I don't know how much longer he'll be with the team. In contrast, Chris Owusu looked good as the third wide receiver with a big third-down catch.
- Calvin Pryor looked like a real football player and not just a human missile today, which was a huge improvement.
- The tight end position is dead. It's a disaster there, and I'm fairly confident they Jeff Cumberland blocking the whole game, which isn't encouraging.
- I'd like to see the offense get more creative in the run game. There were too many plays where they just rammed Chris Ivory up the gut. Don't get me wrong, it worked well enough to win, but they can do more with him and Powell.
- The defensive line was getting plenty of pressure from my perspective in the stands, but they were having trouble closing the deal. This was a good offensive line they were against though, so perhaps it will get better in the weeks to come.
Overall, great game. Lots to be encouraged by, and lots to improve upon. What were the positives and negatives in your book?