1. Let’s start with the obvious. The Tennessee Titans are 3-9 on the season right now, which is not much of an improvement on their 2-14 record from last season. What’s happening in Nashville? Why have the Titans struggled so much this season?
Well they had a terrible coach to start the season. They also have a lack of talent on the roster. The only place they are set for the future is at QB and TE. It is hard to win like they.
They have also had some key injuries on the offensive line, wide receiver, to their best cornerback Jason McCourty, and Marcus Mariota missed a couple of games with a knee injury. A team that has a lack of depth really can't afford injuries. That is a recipe for 3-9.
2. The Titans drafted Marcus Mariota, who, by the numbers, has had an up-and-down rookie year. That’s to be expected of a rookie. How has he looked to you? Has he met expectations, and do you think he’s the future?
He has been fantastic. Sure, he has had his rookie mistakes, but there is no doubt that he is the future of the franchise. He can make all of the throws from the pocket, and as he showed last week, can take off and make a big play with his legs. The most refreshing thing about him has been that he almost refuses to run. So many QBs that can run take off at the first hint of pressure. If anything, Mariota stays in the pocket too long. That is something he will get better at with more experience.
3. Ken Whisenhunt inherited a 5-11 team and after a 2-14 season, was fired after starting this season 1-6. Do you think that was the right decision, and how has Mike Mularkey looked in his short tenure as head coach?
Absolutely. Ken Whisenhunt refused to change anything, ever. He had a bad offensive line and refused to leave extra guys in to block. He also insisted on his rookie quarterback taking 5 and 7 step drops. Mariota was getting killed, and it really sounds like that is the biggest reason he was fired when he was.
Mularkey has done a nice job all the way around. He has tweaked the offensive line a couple of times. It is a bit like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, but is has helped a little. Mariota hasn't gotten hit nearly as much. The most important thing he can do going forward is help Mariota develop.
4. How would you game plan against the Titans, both on offense and defense?
You attack this Titans defense through the air. The pass rush has suffered with Derrick Morgan out of the line-up and the secondary isn't very good. If the Jets can give FitzMagic some time to throw, it will be a long day for the Titans.
Defensively, you need to find a way to take away Delanie Walker. He is the Titans biggest weapon on offense. The receivers on the outside have some ability, but they aren't going to hurt you as much as Delanie.
5. What are your predictions for the game?
It will be hard for the Titans to get much done on offense in this game. The Jets come away with a 23-13 win.