Every year Football Outsiders has a list of 25 unheralded players they believe have breakout potential. An under the radar Jets cornerback is on their list this year.
We limit the pool to players who fit the following criteria:
• Drafted in the third round or later, or signed as an undrafted free agent
• Entered the NFL between 2011 and 2013
• Started fewer than five career games
• Still on their initial contract with their current team (players who were cut and picked up elsewhere still qualify)
• Age 26 or younger in 2014
There is every opportunity for a player like Walls to make an impact. Even if you are in the glass is half full crowd about the cornerback position, this group is...let's say less established than what the Jets had during the Revis-Cromartie years.
I would have like to have seen Walls get more of an opportunity with Milliner's struggles last year. I'm not sure how high his ceiling is. He handled his role in subpackages well but did seem to struggle the few times the Jets increased his role and gave him more snaps against better competition. He is a guy who might have a shot to earn the starting job, though. Walls coming onto the scene and playing well would be a big boost for a secondary that has a ton of question marks.