Let's take a quick look at last week's Bold Predictions results before moving on to Sunday's game. I predicted Geno Smith would produce more yards from scrimmage than Tom Brady. Am I a wizard or what? Nailed it. None of my other predictions were even in the same zip code as reality. My record now stands at eight correct predictions out of 75 on the year. My bonus prediction was the Jets would be out of timeouts before the end of the 3rd quarter. In a stunning upset, the Jets did not squander timeouts too much in this game. Got that one wrong. That makes me six for 15 on bonus predictions. I brought my record to 8-7 in predicting the winner of the game, having correctly predicted a Patriots win over the Jets.
Let's see what I can get wrong this week.
Here are my five Bold Predictions for Sunday's game:
1. Geno Smith will produce more combined rushing and passing touchdowns than Ryan Tannehill.
2. Geno Smith will have a better passer rating than Ryan Tannehill.
3. Jets tight ends will produce 75+ yards and a touchdown.
4. The Jets will gain more yards running the ball than the Dolphins will gain passing the ball.
5. The Jets will win the turnover battle.
And a bonus prediction: Trevor Reilly states his case for consideration for a starting role next year with his best game of the season.
Final Score: This one is very difficult to figure. Who knows which starters, if any, will get a rest? Who knows how the emotions will play out? The two most unpredictable games of the season are the first and the last games. I'll go out on a limb here and go with the improving Jets trends. Jets pull an upset over the Dolphins in Miami. Jets 23, Dolphins 16. Rex goes out the same way he came in, with a win.