Let's take a quick look at last week's Bold Predictions results before moving on to Sunday's game. I predicted Eric Decker would rack up his first 100 yard game as a Jet. Bingo. 100 yards on the dot. I predicted Geno Smith would not turn the ball over and would have a 90+ passer rating for only the 5th time in his career. Oh, the agony. So close, but just missed. Smith did not turn the ball over for only the second time this year, but he fell just shy of the 90 passer rating, at 88.2. None of my other predictions were even in the same zip code as reality. My record now stands at seven correct predictions out of 70 on the year. My bonus prediction was Calvin Pryor would do something, anything, to make you think he isn't completely lost out there. Nailed it. Pryor was playing in the box as strong safety most of the game, and he responded with perhaps his best game of the season. That makes me six for 14 on bonus predictions. I brought my record to 7-7 in predicting the winner of the game, having correctly predicted a Jets win over the Titans.
Let's see what I can get wrong this week.
Here are my five Bold Predictions for Sunday's game:
1. The unthinkable will happen and the Jets will have not one but two 100 yard receivers in this game. There is a better than 50% chance that this cosmic anomaly will cause a rift in the space time continuum and the destruction of the known universe.
2. Geno Smith will generate more yards from scrimmage than Tom Brady.
3. Percy Harvin will take a kickoff back for a touchdown.
4. The Jets #24 will have more interceptions than the Patriots #24. Whereupon after the game the Jets #24 will immediately announce his intention of holding out until he is paid more than the Patriots #24. The Jets will then announce the immediate retirement of the number 24.
5. Ikemefuna Enemkpali will register his first NFL sack.
And a bonus prediction: The Jets will be out of timeouts before the end of the 3rd quarter.
Final Score: This one won't be close. The Jets may come out all fired up in Rex's JetLife Stadium swan song, but emotion will quickly dissipate in the face of a much superior Patriots team taking care of business. Patriots 37 Jets 13.