I want to mention that game next Sunday in Arlington as little as possible, but I always like to pass along stories of a Jet helping in the community. Jason Taylor is working with the Starkey Hearing Foundation to pass out hearing aids to 200 hearing impaired children from the Dallas area.
The specifics of the event are after the jump.
What: Starkey Hearing Foundation Super Bowl Mission scores touchdown by bringing the gift of hearing to 200 under-served, hearing-impaired children from North Texas - each to be fitted with a custom-made state of the art hearing device. For many, it will be the first time they will be able to hear. The Starkey Hearing Foundation Mission, sponsored by Dallas-based Jones Hearing Centers, is part of the Jordin Sparks Experience, a fourth annual, two-day, Super Bowl week event that focuses on community activities and includes a special Teddy Bear Picnic Concert by Sparks.
Who: Starkey Hearing Foundation founder Bill Austin, and his team of hearing experts will be joined by the following celebrity volunteers:
· Jordin Sparks, official Starkey Hearing Foundation Hearing Ambassador
· Adrian Peterson, NFL Running Back for the Minnesota Vikings
· Larry Fitzgerald Jr., NFL Wide Receiver for the Arizona Cardinals
· Jason Taylor, NFL Outside Linebacker for the New York Jets
· Vontae Davis, NFL Cornerback for the Miami Dolphins
· Chris Smith, NFL Defensive Back for the Philadelphia Eagles
· Johnny Knox, NFL Wide Receiver for the Chicago Bears
· Phil Hellmuth, 11-time World Poker Champion
· NFL Hall of Fame Players: Michael Irvin, Lem Barney, Elvin Bethea, Joe DeLamielleure, Ted Hendricks, Kenny Houston, Paul Krause, John Randall, Mel Renfro, Jan Stenerud and Dave Wilcox
· JoJo, recording artist and actress
· Honor Society, hip hop/pop/rock group
Background: The Starkey Hearing Foundation’s Super Bowl Mission is one of dozens of missions
conducted each year both domestically and internationally. The Starkey Hearing
Foundation, So the World May Hear, is the global leader in hearing health care and is
striving to change the social consciousness of hearing and hearing loss prevention. Each
year, the Foundation delivers more than 100,000 hearing aids through hearing missions
in countries stretching from the U.S. to Vietnam. Since 2000, the Foundation has
supplied nearly 500,000 hearing aids to people in need and is striving to achieve its goal
of distributing over one million free hearing aids in this decade. In addition to giving the
gift of hearing, the Foundation partners with Best Buy and the Grammy Foundation to
promote ‘safe hearing’ and hearing loss prevention among teens and young people,
through its national program, Soundmatters. For more information on the Starkey
Hearing Foundation, visit www.starkeyhearingfoundation.