Ok, folks, let's take a break from the Revis talks and, um, saying Buffalo is not a good team. Over and over again.
Calvin Pace has head of the story of a 6 month old Sophia Lopez of Bronx, NY. She has a rare blood disease known as hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH), and will need a bone marrow transplant if she is to survive. Because of her Puerto Rican descent, her odds aren't good.
Rich Cimini explains: (link to article here:http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/)
In January, Sophia was diagnosed with hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH). After finishing her first round chemotherapy, she went into remission. Her parents, Mike andDenise Lopez, began to make preparations for her baptism. In April, Sophia relapsed. She returned to the hospital for more treatment and it was determined that her only hope for survival would be a bone marrow transplant from a matching donor. Neither of her siblings are an ideal match, so they turned to the national registry. Unfortunately, her chances are compromised because of her Puerto Rican descent.
Calvin Pace is trying to help. He wants you to help. A month ago, the Jets linebacker filmed a public-service announcement for DKMS, a group that recruits bone-marrow donors for leukemia patients. In his PSA, Pace urges people, especially minorities, to register. Minorities are under-represented in the national registry, according to DKMS.
"Sophia’s story broke by my heart," Pace said. "Her disease is so rare, and her chances of finding a matching donor are slim because she’s a minority. Everyone, regardless of their race or ethnicity, deserves a fair chance at life. Help Sophia and others like her in desperate need of a transplant. Register as a bone marrow donor. You can help her win this fight."
Each year, more than 140,000 people are diagnosed with a blood cancer, such as leukemia or lymphoma. Less than 30% of patients can find a match in their own family; the other 70% must search for an unrelated donor. According to the NMDP, 55% of Hispanics or Latinos in need of a life-saving transplant do not receive one and 83% of African Americans in need of a transplant to not receive one.
For more information, visit www.dkmsamericas.org. If you want to check out Pace's PSA, go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xp_SAqR548.
Here's a message from Sophia's brother: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAJ2RqIG1dE. You don't want to miss this.
So, in case you have an extra bone marrow lying around, hit up Calvin. Otherwise, keep the Lopez family in your thoughts. These are the kinds of things that make you appreciate what you have and put things into perspective.