Jets Current Available 2014 Salary Cap Space: $22.3mil
CB Antonio Cromartie [$9.5mil savings]
- Antonio Cromartie will cost a $14.98 mil as this year's cap. The cost is way too much for a 29yr old CB who had a injury-filled down year. We decided to cut Antonio to see what is available on the market. The decision became easier with the improved play of Dee Milliner towards the end of this past year. Let's keep in touch, Antonio
QB Mark Sanchez [$8.3mil savings]
- Mark Sanchez been a good QB for the Jets franchise. The past couple of years has been difficult for Mark while trying to get to learn a new offense from different Coordinators. The shoulder injury was a bad break. The organization has decided to go forward with Geno Smith with our #1 QB going into training camp. The Jets can't afford to have a potential backup cost 13.1mil against the salary cap. We decided to let Mark explore other opportunities in the league.
WR Santonio Holmes [$8.25mil savings]
- Santonio has played well for the Jets but we have decided to go in a new direction with our receiving.
RB Mike Goodson [$1.3mil]
- We were hoping Mike would be a valuable part of our RB core. We have decided to move in another direction.
WR Clyde Gates [$0.6mil savings] - New direction
WR Greg Salas [$0.6mil savings]- New direction
S Jaiqwan Jarrett [$0.6mil savings] - New direction
Total Cap Savings: [$29.15mil]
Available cap space: $51.45mil
RT Austin Howard - 4 year, 16mil [5mil cap used]
- Austin has improved from year and had a good year playing on the right side. Welcome back, Austin.
OG Willie Colon - 1 year [1.5mil cap used]
- Willie played like a Jet for us and earned the opportunity to continue playing with the organization. Welcome back Willie. Heal up.
FS Ed Reed - 1 year [1.5mil cap used]
- Ed decided to play for another year. Ed's presence will be valuable in the locker room and on the field.
LB Nick Bellore - 1 year [0.6mil cap used] - Nick adds depth to LB core.
DL Legar Douzable - 1 year [0.6mil cap used] - Legar adds depth to DL core.
Total Cap Used: $9.2 mil
Available cap space: $42.25mil
* These extensions replace their existing contract .
DE Mo Wilkerson - 6 years, 50mil with $16mil guaranteed [Additional 2014 cap used: $3mil]
- Mo has played like a Jet since day 1 he arrived on the team. The Jets organization is looking forward to Mo being with organization for years to come.
LB David Harris - 3 years, 18mil *2014 cap hit reduced from $7mil to $2mil
- David has been valued member of the Jets organization.
C Nick Mangold - 4 years, 34mil * 2014 cap hit reduced from $7mil to $4mil
- Nick has been the anchor for offensive line since 2006 and will continue to be for years to come.
RB Bilal Powell - 1 year 1.4mil *2014 cap hit reduced from $1.4 to 0.6mil
- Bilal helped the Jets by allowing us to restructure his contract and getting some extra cash up front.
Total Cap Savings: $5.8mil
Available Cap Space: $48.05mil
CB Alterraun Verner - 6 years, 60mil ($25mil guaranteed) * 2014 cap used, $10mil
- Alterraun had a great year for Titans. His man to man coverage skills and overall toughness is the kind of CB play we are looking for. Welcome Alterraun.
FS Jarius Byrd - 5years, 50mil ($20mil guaranteed) * 2014 cap used, $9.05mil
- We wanted to improve the secondary play . Jarius brings us that added playmaking presence in the backend of the defense. Welcome Jarius.
WR Hakeem Nicks - 3 years, 20mil *2014 cap hit, $6mil (incentive based contract)
- Hakeem's skill set has been wasted playing with weak-armed Eli Manning. Geno Smith should be able to take advantage of Hakeem's playmaking ability. Welcome Hakeem.
G Jon Asamoah - 4 years, 16mil * 2014 cap hit, $4mil
- Jon brings added competition to the guard position. Welcome Jon.
LB Mike Neal - 3years, 9mil * 2014 cap used, $3mil
- Mike Neal versatility will be a much needed addition to the defense. Mike will compete for the starting OLB position but he can also play DE in our 34DE, 43DE sets. Welcome Mike.
QB Shaun Hill - 2 years, 5mil * 2014 cap hit, $3mil
- We are bringing in Shaun to compete with Geno and bring a veteran presence to the QB position. Welcome Shaun.
RB Felix Jones - 1 year, $800k
- Felix brings added depth to the RB core as a 3rd down receiving threat. Welcome Felix
Total cap space used: $35.85mil
Remaining cap space: $12.2mil
* The Jets war room is a abuzz with anticipation. We are not sure how the draft will playout but we are ready. The draft board is set and phone lines are open. HERE WE GO!!!
*TRADE* New York Jets trade #18, CB Kyle Wilson and 2015 1st round pick to Atlanta Falcons for #6 pick.
Analysis: When we saw Sammy Watkins slip to the #6 pick, we had to jump on the phone to the Atlanta Falcons to see if they wanted to make deal. With the signing of the Alterraun Verner early in the year, Kyle Wilson remains our #3 and saw an opportunity to offer him to Atlanta to help with the loss of Asante Samuel.
Round 1 (#6) - WR Sammy Watkins
- Sammy Watkins is a rare talent and the top WR prospect in this year’s draft. Sammy Watkins game breaking abilities will be a much needed asset to the WR core.
Round 2 (#49): TE Jace Amaro, Texas Tech
- Jace Amaro's surprising slip out of the first round give us a chance to snatch him up with the 49th pick. Jace's game tape outweighs his combine performance allowing us to add another talented player to the receiving core.
Round 3 (#69): OLB Jeremiah Attaochu, Georgia Tech
- Jeremiah brings pass rushing ability to the LB position.
Round 3 (#80): WR Martavis Bryant, Clemson
- Brings added depth to the receiving group.
Round 4 (#111): RB Charles Sims, West Virginia
- Looking for receiving threat out of the backfield from the RB position.
Round 5: CB Ross Cockrell, Duke
- Expected to compete for the #3 CB postion
Round 5 (comp): P Kirby Van Der Kamp, Iowa State
- We needed to improve are special teams play on punts. Kirby should help in that regards.
LT: D' Brickashaw Ferguson , Ben Ijalana
DE: Muhammed Wilkerson, Leger Douzable
NT: Damon Harrison, Kenrick Ellis
DT: Sheldon Richardson
LOLB: Quinton Coples , Antwan Barnes
LILB: Demario Davis , Nick Bellore
RILB : David Harris
ROLB: Mike Neal , Jeremiah Attaochu
LCB: Dee Milliner , Darrin Walls
RCB: Alterraun Verner, Ross Cockrell
SCB: Kyle Wilson , Ellis Lankster
FS: Jarius Byrd , Ed Reed , Josh Bush
SS: Dawan Landry, Antonio Allen
K: Nick Folk
P: Kirby Van Der Kamp
Long Snapper: Tanner Purdam
KR: Felix Jones
PR: Jeremy Kerley