It's not often you have a receiver finish the season with over 1,000 yards and four 100+ yards in each of the final 4 regular season games, and not talk about him. However that's what's happening with Miami receiver Allen Hurns, a player who has really come on in his final season in Miami. He has worked his way up from being a special teams player to being only the fourth receiver in Miami history to have a 1000+ yard receiving season. I've had a look at Hurns and personally, I just don't understand why he is gaining more attention as a viable receiving threat. I've seen him projected in the 4th round to not being drafted at all. He won't be a No1 at the next level, but he could be a solid #2 or #3.
Projected 40: 4.45-4.5
- Quickness: He doesn't have top end speed, but he is very quick over a short area and enough pace to really challenge players downfield as well.
- Recognition: Always seems to find a way to get open, doesn't have the best acceleration, but he really sells his routes, and manages to find the soft areas in zone.
- Physical blocker: He is lean and thin, but he puts 100% effort into the blocking game, and surprisingly, he's actually quite a good consistent blocker on the outside.
- Separation: Someone tried to tell me he won't get separation at the next level, I don't understand that. He gets separation consistently with crisp routes and fast breaks.
- Multi-threat: He can go deep, run the intermediate, Miami liked to get him the ball on screens and swing passes too, he can do a lot of things well.
- Route running: I really liked what I saw from Hurns in terms of his route running ability, he gets in and out of his breaks quickly and smoothly, which is why he was able to amass 1000+ yards at Miami.
- Height: He's not 6"3, that's his listed height but I wouldn't be surprised if he comes in at under 6"2 officially.
- Lean: He has very thin legs, thin arms and thin frame....against tougher press coverage in the NFL, that may well be a problem.
- Concentration: He's not known as a dropper but sometimes he's looking what he'll do with the ball before he actually has the ball.
- Did have a few niggling injuries throughout his career, with a concussion and issues with his hand. Doesn't seem to have affected him at all based on 2013 numbers.