Since 2010, the Jets have annually inducted 2 or more players into the team's Ring of Honor.
Next to having a player's jersey retired by the team or a honorary day dedicated to the player, admission to the Ring of Honor is the highest accolade a player can receive from the team. It symbolizes that that player was integral in the success and/or culture of the franchise.
Thus far the Ring of Honor consists of: Namath, Don Maynard, Curtis Martin, Winston Hill, Weeb Ewbank, Joe Klecko, Larry Grantham, Gerry Philbin, Freeman McNeil, Al Toon, Wesley Walker and Mark Gastineau.
My guess is 2 or 4 players (split evenly between offense and defense as in the last 2 years) will go in this year, so I think it's high time we started speculating as to which Jets greats should go in this year.
Here are the 10 players that should be the frontrunners. (Not ranked in any particular order):
1. Mo Lewis - 3 time Pro Bowler and one of the best LBs in Jets history, 5th all-time leading sacker on team,
2. Wayne Chrebet - one of the leading receivers in team history, one of the best undrafted players in NFL history, his #80 jersey has already been unofficially retired
3. George Sauer - 4-time Pro Bowler, 2-Time All-Pro, great receiver for the AFL Jets that played huge in Superbowl III, passed away earlier this year
4. Emerson Boozer and/or Matt Snell - the integral RB tandem that made the Jets one of the most dominant rushing teams in the AFL.
5. Kyle Clifton - Star MLB who played over 200 games for the Jets, recorded over 100 tackles 9 times, and over 150 tackles 5 times
6. Marty Lyons - versatile defensive lineman who played very well with Klecko, Gastineau, and has remained one of the strongest voices for the Jets in the media
7. Mickey Shuler - the Jets all-time leading TE in most major receiving categories, 2-Time Pro Bowler
8. Dennis Byrd - played 3 seasons for the Jets before a life-threatening neck injury during a game, had his #90 jersey retired last year, remains a source of inspiration for many fans and players
9. Marvin Powell - 5-time Pro Bowler, 3-time All-Pro, one of the greatest Tackles in team history
10. Randy Rasmussen - Offensive Guard that played in 207 games for the Jets, most of all-time for any offensive player, named to the Jets All-Time team