Morning one and all. It's Sunday and it's Jets game-day, and personally I can't think of anything better than that. So why not in the image of Peter Kings Monday Morning Quarterback, go through some Jets related issues in a new segment that I hope will become a regular feature.
So grab your coffees or if you are English at heart, your teas!
60% of the time, it works every time- No sex panthers today, and no sighting of James Westfall or Doctor Kenneth Noisewater. However we will be taking on the Cam Newton and the Caroline Panthers. A great test for what we now consider a quicker more athletic defense. I love our run defense and think we have one of the best defensive lines in terms of talent and depth in the league, Caroline averaged 150.5 yards per game on the ground in 2011 which was good for third in the league, they also topped the league in rushing touchdowns with 26. It will be a great test for the guys up front to get a push and for the linebackers to stay active tracking the football.
Locked, loaded, and ready to go!- For the first time this pre-season we are going to see the Jets offence at full capacity. If your thinking is similar to mine, it's good to have anyone but Hunter starting at right tackle. Howard isn't an all start by any means and he may be just as bad as Hunter when he goes against the ones, but we know Hunter is bad, we don't know that Howard is bad.......yet! Santonio Holmes and Kerley will play, don't expect them to be out there for three quarters, they will likely play a couple of series and then head to the bench for some ice. The presence of both of these guys should however improve the play of Sanchez. If Sanchez improves, the passing game improves, if the passing game improves the running game should do. A domino effect if ever I saw one.
Floating Your Goat- Not sure if any of you guys saw this yesterday and when our mailbag comes out on Monday you will see why I found it quite interesting. However Cimini lists Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum as the new Jets scapegoat if we are to falter. I actually agree with Cimini on this, I know that we like to say that Mike is a cap genius but do you ever get the feeling that we are putting things back and back....it's like receiving a bill through the post, we'll sort it next week, then another, then another, at some point that red letter and final warning will appear. If we falter due to poor line play then Mike's head should be on the board. He saw Hunters play last year, we had a chance to fix it this year and we haven't. Let's see how things pan out, but I think of the current regime.....Mike will be first to go.
Kitchen Therapy- Slimmed down Rex Ryan hasn't been spending as much time this off-season in the kitchen raiding his cupboards and his fridge looking for sugary treats, however that doesn't mean that the kitchen hasn't come into use this off-season. New York Daily News reporter Manish Mehta has a heart warming story yesterday about the effect a 90 minute conversation between new Wide Receivers coach Sanjay Lal and Jets Wide Receiver Santonio Holmes started the healing process of a fractured receiving core, and it all happened in Rex Ryan's kitchen when he was away. Holmes strikes me as a guy that just wants to be listened to, when you feel valued and when you feel that your opinion counts, you are more likely to be productive. That's as true on the football field as it is around every office in the world.
Join me after the jump for more:
Quotes I Love
"I really can’t think of a time when I thought, ‘Man, this guy has lost it,’" Heyward-Bey said. "I’m just glad that I had him in my first three years, through the good and the bad times. He was the perfect coach for me as a young guy."
Darius Heyward-Bey on Sanjay Lal- Stephen Hill will be delighted. They had similar attributes, lots of speed with the need for refinement.
"I’m on a line with three Pro Bowlers, and it can’t get any better than that," Howard said. "They’re really helping me out. I got the extra time, both on the field and in the film room. I feel like I’m making progress and doing better."
Austin Howard on his starting role tonight. Like I said above, a new start is exactly what was needed
"It’s great. I love JK. He’s quick and explosive. We got a mix of a little Santonio again out there today and it just felt like things started to click again. You get explosive playmakers like that back, it really can boost your offense"
Mark Sanchez on having Kerley and Holmes back
5 GGN NYJ FACTS:
1) 1981 became the New York Jets first winning season since joining the NFL in 1970 as part of the AFL-NFL merge
2) In 1967, Joe Namath became the first professional Quarterback to pass for over 4,000 yards
3) The first New York Jets player to rush for 1,000 yards in a season was John Riggins in 1975
4) Bill Parcells is the only person to have coached both of the NFL’s New York franchises, the Jets and the Giants
5) In 1985 Joe Klecko became the first player in NFL history to be named to the Pro Bowl at 3 different positions (DE, DT, NT)
5 Things I DONT like:
1) Anonymous Sources
2) Contract disputes becoming public, Revis & Keller are ones that come to mind
4) The Jets playing in New England the weekend I am in New York.
5) People disliking Tebow for the actions of the media and his followers
Super Bowl III Facts & FIgures (Key Info For Jets Fans)
Date: January 12th 1969
Orange Bowl, Miami Florida.
New York Jets 16, Baltimore Colts 7
Points Spread: Colts by 18
MVP: Joe Namath, Quarterback, New York Jets
Broadcast Network: NBC
Announcers: Curt Gowdy, Al DeRogatis and Kyle Rote
Cost of a 30 second commercial: $55,000
National Anthem: Anita Bryant
Ten Things I Think I Think:
- I Think that the New York Jets will end the year #1 in the league in total defence.
- I Think hat at the end of the year, Dustin Keller will again lead the team in touchdown receptions.
- I Think that Tim Tebow will account for 10 touchdowns this season, passing and rushing combined
- I Think that no matter what, we will be looking for a right tackle in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft.
- I think that by the end of the regular season, Demario Davis will be starting for Bart Scott
- I think that by week three, some Jets fans will already be calling for the head of Mark Sanchez.
- I think that by the start of the 2013 NFL season, we will have a different feature back to Shonn Greene
- I think that within three years Andrew Luck will be one of the best Quarterbacks in the NFL
- I think within three years, the Jets will start the season with a new QB freshly drafted
- I think that LaRon Landry will be back in a Jets uniform next season, Bell will not